It’s cyber Monday. A day when all online retailers are creating crazy traffic to their sites by offering incredible sales. Part of the reason behind creating cyber Monday surely has to do with the fact that Black Friday causes huge crowds and the type of traffic no one likes. This day of online sales has been a great success. However, how do retailers keep traffic coming to their site 364 other days of the year? More specifically, how do associations drive more traffic to their site or even social media networks? Below are 8 tips on how to drive more traffic to your social media platforms.
- Post and Engage Consistently. Your audience will forget about you if you are not posting regularly and often. One post a day is the minimum to stay in front of your members. However, don’t just post; remember to engage with your members. Like, comment, share and retweet relevant posts by other members or those related to the industry.
- Create Multiple Social Media Accounts. Perhaps your association doesn’t have a lot of manpower to monitor many social media accounts. That is ok but I would encourage you to have at least two social media networks in which you are active. Choose which platforms make sense for your industry and audience.
- Vary Your Content. Social media is very visual. When possible, include an image, video or infographic with the majority of your posts. Balance it out with links to articles and quotes. Visual content is shown to produce more engagement with likes, comments, shares and retweets.
- Post at the Best Times. This is a tricky statement since “the best times” definitely vary. It varies from Facebook to Twitter and from your industry to others. As in most things in social media marketing, it is best to learn by trial and error. Change the time up for your posts and stick with what timeframe you receive the most engagement.
- Use hashtags. What is trending in your industry? Create a hashtag for it or create a specific one for your association especially during conferences. You can then track that hashtag and increase your audience beyond your current followers. But don’t overdue it. Studies say that 1-2 hashtags is enough and using more can be off putting.
- Make updates short and to the point. People do not read lengthy status updates or explanations on social media. They just don’t. Omit the fluff and get to the point.
- Content is key. Of course, you knew this would be one of my points. Remember that when posting to your social media accounts to always follow the phrase “quality over quantity”. You want your updates, articles, blog posts and more to be shareable content. This way your current audience will spread the word for you.
- Measure it all. Analytics are your friend. Use stats, Google Analytics and Facebook Insights to measure how well your posts are doing. This will help you better understand what working and what is not.
Have you tried different things to drive more traffic to your social networks? I would love to hear of creative ways that may be working for you.